Rapid Access Arrhythmia Clinic
CHFT has launched a Rapid Access Arrythmia Clinic which is now open to referrals. Patients will be seen within 2 weeks in a one-stop clinic. The referral form and patient leaflet can be downloaded from this page.
GPs can refer patients with Atrial Fibrillation, Atrial Flutter or SVT (including atrial tachycardia).
Referrals will be accepted ONLY if all eligibility criteria are met AND there are no exclusion criteria.
1. Evidence of the above arrhythmia ( to be attached and /or given to the patient) on either a 12 lead ECG or ambulatory Holter ECG
2. Either newly diagnosed symptomatic arrhythmia and not seen by a Cardiologist OR Previously diagnosed, but still symptomatic AND not under Cardiology follow up
1. Patients known to have moderate or severe LV systolic dysfunction
2. Moderate or severe valve disease (including valve replacement)
3. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or treated congenital heart disease
4. Patients who have significant non-cardiac co-morbidities (e.g. advanced cancer) or symptoms due to an alternative diagnosis (e.g. Pulmonary Embolism)
5. Patients with minimal/no symptoms and not suitable for rhythm control strategy (e.g. Elderly, Frailty, Poor Mobility)
Acutely unwell, hypotension, confirmed ACS - arrange acute admission
If YES to any of 1-3 of exclusion criteria - Referral to Consultant Cardiology OP clinic
If YES to any of 4-5 of exclusion criteria - Review in primary care or acute ambulatory unit first and discussion with Cardiology if required
CHECKLIST BEFORE REFERRAL
1. Have you verified that the patient meets all eligibility and referral criteria?
2. Please provide initial 2 weeks supply of medication for arrhythmia control as appropriate (eg. Bisoprolol 2.5 to 5mg od or Diltiazem M/R 90-120mg bd)
3. Consider commencing anticoagulation if CHA2DS2VASC 2 or above (as per NICE recommendations), especially in patients without high bleeding risk
4. Please inform patients to expect a SMS text and letter from the Arrhythmia Specialist nurse with the appointment date and time.
5. Please request/perform the following tests at the time of referral, if not already done within the last 8 weeks :
- Full blood count
- Urea, Creatinine, Electrolytes
- Blood Glucose or HbA1C
- Thyroid function tests
- Liver function tests
- Clotting screen (if not already on oral anticoagulants)
All referrals will be triaged by one of the Arrhythmia nurses.
Published 30th June 2018