Covid19 Daily Briefing 25 March
**Email sent on behalf of the LMC, Clinical Directors and NHS Calderdale CCG**
1. Care Homes Prescription Ordering
· Danielle Haley the Medicines Optimisation in Care Homes Technician would like to support getting named staff in care homes registered to order prescriptions through SystmOne online and EMIS equivalent on behalf of their patients.
· This will stop them dropping off paper requests at practice, support self isolation and improve workflow for both practice and care homes.
· Danielle will need to be added to your clinical system to do this if you have not done this already for previous work with you.
· It is possible for the surgery and care home to know who has accessed the records directly from the electronic records if needed.
· The surgery has improved control as the proxy access can be revoked for individual staff members without needing to revoke access for the care home in total or every resident.
· Easy for the care home to use and manage.
· The is the method recommended by the RCGP in their online toolkit https://www.rcgp.org.uk/patientonline
Danielle Haley | Medicines Optimisation in Care Homes Pharmacy Technician (Calderdale and Kirklees)
Mob: 07557313488 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1) There is a national priority to reduce over prescribing in primary care as this is causing severe pressures on the medicines supply chain. Please ensure all your prescribers are only issuing 28 days as standard and only 1 inhaler to patients. Put all suitable patients on ERD so they can access repeats in a timely way without contacting the surgery. Paying for prescriptions or previous longer duration should not be used as exceptions to this policy.
2) Please follow CKW respiratory advice about rescue packs and new supplies of inhalers:
· We have been made aware of some inaccurate information circulating regarding special ‘rescue packs’ for patients with pre-existing respiratory conditions such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). We are not currently changing our usual advice about emergency supplies of antibiotics and steroids. The main reason for this is that we understand neither would help in the early stages of a COVID-19 infection and people might delay seeking advice if they became increasingly short of breath
· Please do not contact your GP practice for a rescue pack. You should continue to manage your condition in the usual way and if you feel you have symptoms of COVID-19, go to https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19 before doing anything else.
· We are getting increased demand for inhalers from people who have not had inhalers for several years. This is not recommended and inhalers should only be restarted if your symptoms have returned. Please only request inhalers if you are currently using them and please visit AsthmaUk.org or British Lung Foundation UK for further information.
· We would also like to reassure you that the large majority of people, even with underlying risk factors, will have a mild to moderate illness and recover well. Information on covid-19 can be found online at https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19
3) Guidance on how to nominate a community pharmacy is attached. Ask patient which pharmacy they wish to nominate.
4. PPE Issues
We are still awaiting and update on more supplies of PPE nationally.
· The ‘hotline’ referred to in the press is this NSDR number:
Practices and Trusts should contact the National Supply Disruption Response (NSDR) unit on:
Freephone number in the UK: 0800 915 9964
Direct line: 0044 (0) 191 283 6543
Hours of Operation: Mon – Fri, 8am – 6pm
If you have not done so already please register to the daily webinars from NHS Supply Chain. These occur at 3.00pm every day and a recording/PDF is available following the webinar. Please cascade to anyone else in your organisation that you feel appropriate:
Registration Link: Daily COVID-19 Webinars
This is a single link that will register you for the series of daily webinars.
PRIMARY CARE - Further stocks from the pandemic stockpile have been made available to the following primary care wholesalers. Please contact these wholesalers to purchase PPE:
Alliance / NWOP
Pharmacy / GP Surgery
Mckesson / AAH Pharma
DCC Vital / Williams
Wright Health Group
Should your supply arrangement fail with no immediate resolution available, you should report it to the National Supply Disruption Response (NSDR)
· Please find attached a supplier who has contacted us to make their services available to practices should they wish to purchase PPE.
· This has been send to the CD’s to consider around a PCN approach but is attached for your information also.
5. Accurx on desktop with webcam instructions
1) Plug in webcam into USB slot at front of computer hard-drive.
2) Ensure SystmOne and accuRx is running.
3) Retrieve patient you want to call on SystmOne.
4) Click on the camera icon on the small turquoise accuRx toolbar.
5) Select 'Video'
6) Typically we have been using our own phones which means putting our mobile phone numbers in the box 'your mobile number'. In this box type 'n/a'
7) Click send and save
8) Now hold down the mouse key to select the web link in the text that has been sent to the patient. Copy and paste this into the application 'notepad' and then into the Chrome search bar or straight into the Google Chrome search bar. (Internet explorer does NOT support this software and unfortunately is also the default option if you click directly on the link to open it)
9) If you click enter, it should send you straight to the online consultation. You may need to click 'allow permissions'
6. RCGP guidance on prioritisation of work
· See attached document which has been RAG rated on prioritisation of work.
7. Screening and Immunisations
· Breast Screening – please see attached email advising that ‘Well Women Breast Screening’ has been suspended and will be re-arranged in due course.
· We have been advised that recalls will continue to be seen.
· Cervical Screening – Paul Butcher confirms a temporary suspension on cervical screening whilst we await National Guidance. This was discussed with LCM,CCG & CD’s and felt to be reasonable at this stage
· Repeat smears following previous abnormal should continue within the stated repeat time.
· Childhood and Adolescent Immunisations - We are currently awaiting National Guidance on a steer for Section 7a Screening and Immunisation Programmes, however, where possible, the delivery of childhood and adolescent immunisation should be administered as “business as usual” until advised otherwise.
· In the meantime, please see the following advice from PHE National Immunisation Team regarding the low supply of liquid paracetamol which also includes the advice that primary and adolescent immunisations should not be delayed.
8. Sexual Health
· ALL SEXUAL HEALTH QUEUE & WAIT CLINICS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
· Please ring 01422 261370/261365 where you will be assessed by a nurse and, if appropriate, an appointment will be made for you.
· Thank you for your help with this matter.
· Liz Todd, Medical Secretary - Sexual Health Services
· Direct Tel: 01422 261354 | Sexual Health Services Tel: 01422 261370
Thanks very much.
Dr Caroline Taylor CCG, Dr Seema Nagpaul LMC, Dr Fawad Azam CD, Emma Bownas
All attachments are here